December 5, 2015

80/20: The secret to sustainable weight loss!

breakfast1

A lot of people think that I’m a stickler when it comes to healthy eating. That misconception probably started when they saw me dieting for my first NPC Bikini Competition. If you have some time on your hands, the long story is here.

Basically, I spent about two years thinking restrictive dieting was the way to go. I ate egg whites with no yolk, limited my peanut butter intake to 1 tablespoon per day, only ate lean fish like tilapia (yuck), and developed a very unhealthy relationship with food. After each diet ended, I would always gain the weight back.

I was introduced to flexible dieting (or IIFYM, which stands for “if it fits your macros”) in 2014 when I was prepping for my first National show. I learned to rely on the science of macronutrients and actually had flexibility when it came to my diet. The best part was that I was able to reach my fitness goals while still enjoying the foods that I loved.

Nowadays, I eat healthy about 80% of the time. And when I say healthy, I mean nutrient-dense, not boring and bland. If you check out my recipes, you’ll see that healthy can still be delicious! And in the other 20% of the time, I eat whatever the heck I want (including ice cream, bread, donuts, french fries, etc.). So how does this work? Well, the more you restrict yourself, the more you’re going to crave whatever it is you “can’t eat.” Then, when you finally eat it, you’re going to go so far off the deep end that you’ll likely experience feelings of disappointment and self-resentment. But if you allow yourself that 20% of freedom, you will never feel restricted.

 

innoutproteinstyle

 

In my experience, restrictive diets may result in short-term results, but often aren’t the answer to long-term sustainable weight loss. The 80/20 method is more than a diet. It is a lifestyle change consisting of moderation and balance. By using this approach, you can eat that cookie you’ve been craving and not feel guilty about it! For example, if you eat three meals a day, four meals per week could be “indulgent.” Or, if you eat five small meals a day, you can have 1 “cheat” per day.

Like most of you probably are, I was sick of traditional crash-dieting and rebounding. If you are seeking a more positive relationship with food, or just struggling to find balance, I am eager to help! I have found so much joy in balance and can’t wait to help you do the same!

Start off by giving yourself a big hug and remember that life is a journey, not a destination. As long as you are trying, you are making progress!

xoxo,

Raquel

4 Likes