December 26, 2015

Apple & Pear Almond Crisp

Vegan Apple Pear Almond Crisp

Mele Kalikimaka!

(That’s Hawaiian for Merry Christmas!)

If you’re already subscribed to my weekly emails, then you know there’s nothing more that I encourage during the holidays than balance.

During this time of the year, remember that it’s ok to practice balance and self-love. Give yourself some time off to enjoy your loved ones. You can always get back to your normal routine after the holidays. What you won’t get back is the quality time with your family and friends.

I watch so many people beat themselves up after enjoying a holiday meal. They feel resentful and tell themselves that they need to get back to the gym ASAP. That used to be me. My hope is that I can inspire others to find their 80/20. Understand that we can’t be perfect all of the time, but if we build healthier habits 80% of the time, then the other 20% just won’t bother us as much, because we know we are striving toward progression. My hope is that you won’t see the gym as punishment for how you ate, but instead, as part of your routine – something that you’re picking back up after the weekend.

In the spirit of keeping it 80/20, I adapted a dessert from Minimalist Baker that isn’t necessarily on the “healthy list,” but it’s vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free! It’s a delicious Apple & Pear Almond Crisp!

Vegan Apple Pear Almond Crisp

Ingredients

Apple & Pear Filling

4 medium gala apples and/or pears (I used half and half)

2 drops of doTERRA Lemon Oil (or 1 lemon juiced, approx. 2 tbsp)

1/4 cup organic cane sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot (for thickening)

2 tbsp water

The Crisp

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped in a food processor

1/4 cup coconut flour

1/4 cup organic cane sugar

1/4 cup honey or sugar-free maple syrup

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

The Finishing Touch

1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped in a food processor

1/4 cup honey or sugar-free maple syrup

Recipe

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Peel and slice apples and pears.
  3. Add apple and pear filling ingredients to a large bowl, tossing to combine. Lay out flat in a rectangular baking dish.
  4. Combine the crisp ingredients in the same large bowl, stirring to combine. Pour over apple and pear mixture.
  5. Sprinkle the finishing touch ingredients over the mixture, drizzling the chopped almonds and honey evenly throughout the baking dish.
  6. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour and serve with your favorite yogurt, ice cream, or dairy-free blend!
  7. Enjoy and don’t feel guilty about eating this delicious dessert!

Click here to download a printable PDF version of this recipe.

xoxo,

Raquel

0 Likes