The 7 Habits of Healthy, Happy Individuals

“You can’t be 100 percent all of the time, but you can be 80 percent all of the time.” – Yumi Lee, Hollywood Trainer for Jessica Alba

1. Balance. The 80/20 principle is not a diet, but a lifestyle change that can lead to sustainable weight loss. Focus on eating real, nutrient-dense foods 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent of the time, you can have more flexibility and freedom. No more feeling guilty about going to dinner and cocktails with a friend!

2. Consistency. Health is a habit, and consistency is key. Focus on building healthy habits like staying active and cooking at home instead of testing your self-control.

3. Don’t Crash Diet. I can teach you how to live a healthy lifestyle and lose weight long-term. Cutting foods from your diet cold-turkey can lead to rebounds and unhealthy relationships with food.

4. Carbs are Your Friend. Especially slow-digesting, unprocessed, high-fiber carbs. Nothing drives me crazier than when I hear someone say, “I’m not eating carbs.” Unless you have a clinical reason to follow a ketogenic diet, understand that carbohydrates are our body’s main source of energy. Their primary role is to provide the brain and nervous system with fuel.

5. Be Mindful. Examine the thoughts, feelings, and internal pressures that affect how and why you eat. Learn to be attentive and try to avoid multitasking while you eat. Aim to eat until you are satisfied, and try to avoid being stuffed or left starving.

6. Quit the Negativity. Negative thoughts about food can trigger overeating or under eating. Recognize that you have the ability to control how you react to these thoughts. Negative chatter and “fat talk” (i.e. “I’m so fat!” or “I can’t believe I just ate that!”) can cause a lasting detriment to your own or someone else’s self-esteem.

7. Progress, not Perfection. Set small goals aimed at improvement, rather than perfection. If you focus on being better, not being best, you can grow, bounce back from difficulties, and keep moving forward. Try to focus on the internal, not the external. The only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday.